Thursday, June 11, 2009

Socially Speaking

How I saw the hand of God in my life over the past few days:
I'm a fairly reserved and quiet person. The whole 'being social' thing is something I've struggled with for years. I worry too much about what others think, about bothering them, saying the right thing to them... Sometimes I actually feel all panicked and sick in social situations. Is that social anxiety? Feels like it. Luckily I've been blessed with children who are the opposite, especially Andrew.

Anyway, the other day my kids were out playing outside. They asked me if they could go say Hi to the neighbor (she doesn't have children), and I told them that they could, but would have to come right back so they wouldn't bother her. After a while, I looked out the window, and saw that they were sitting on the porch swing with her. Being the nervous person that I am, I worried that they were staying too long. I went over to get them and bring them home.

While we were there, she invited us to come over on Wed. to roast hot dogs and marshmallows on their portable fire pit (I don't know what to call it). Anyway, we went over yesterday and had a nice time while our husbands were busy working, doing church callings... I think I need to spend time with adults to keep my sanity after being with children all day.

Andrew also got me to bear my testimony on Sunday, a rare occurrence:). He insisted on bearing his testimony, but wanted me to walk up with him. Of course I asked him, "Are you sure you want to? Can't you go up by yourself?..." I know as a parent I shouldn't discourage my children from bearing their testimonies, but I was being selfish and thinking that I didn't want to go up in front of everyone. He gave a sweet testimony from the heart and didn't tell any embarrassing stories :).

So, thinking of all this I decided that not only did God bless me with good neighbors, but also children who are strong where I am weak. I think God sent these little spirits to me for a reason, and that just may be one of them.

1 comment:

  1. well, I'm excited you have a blog, and a good one! It will help me get some of my daily adult "conversation" or inspiration. Thanks

    ReplyDelete