Friday, June 5, 2009

My Blogging Decision

I've been thinking of starting a blog for several months. I keep thinking what a great opportunity we have to create something and share it with the the world (not that the whole world will read this, but you know what I mean). So, what to blog about? I have been thinking and thinking... I'm one of those people who think and think before I do. The problem with that is I tend to think and think and think... and never do. So- that being said, I'm finally doing. Even though you probably don't care, I'm going to lead you through my thought processes on deciding my topic of blog. I looked at several blogs for ideas. I thought about my interests, hobbies, talents, things of importance to me, and made a mental list of possible blog themes. Here is my list:

Family events and photos
- I figure I use myfamily.com for that
Random Thoughts- I'm not a great writer, and I think I would have too many thoughts along the lines of.... "What are we going to have for dinner?" "Why is there water on the floor? (I hope it's water)" "Peek-a-Boo!" "How do I clean thow up out of a car?" and ----------- (that's a blank- no thought at all, a vegetative state)
Poetry- I'm not a poet, but my mom is. I think she should share her hundreds of poems she has written
Photography- not a photographer either. My dad would do a great blog with photography.
Music- I play the piano. I love playing the piano, but I'm no professional- wouldn't be too interesting
Literacy- I like children's books, teaching reading (phonics, comprehension, all that), but I think this would take too much research and time. In other words, I'm too lazy for that.
FHE Lessons- I like making Family home evening lessons, but they take a lot of time... again, too lazy for that.
Gospel Study Insights- Ok, I need to be realistic. How often do I really have good gospel study? It would be a blog rarely updated. Sad but true.
Homemaking- I've seen many blogs of moms sharing their homemaking tips, crafts, recipes... very cool stuff. Unfortunately, my homemaking skills wouldn't be very inspirational to others, more comical.
My Mission- A very valuable experience for me, but I'd like my blog to be mainly in the present, not the past.
Fashion- I'm kidding- didn't even consider that one

This is getting too long, so I'll get to the point. There was a conference talk several months ago that has been weighing on my mind. You know how every conference there is a talk that really hits you and makes you think that it was just for you? Well, that was how one of Elder Eyring's talks was for me. He said that he kept a journal every day writing one instance where he recognized the hand of the Lord in his life that day- a blessing, a piece of inspiration... I'll try to post a video or link to his talk; I'm still trying to figure this out. I'm an avid journal writer. When I heard this talk I thought about how much bla, bla, bla I have in my journals, and how much negative venting I have in them. So, I'm going to do something simple. I'm going to post one instance where I see the hand of God in my life; I think it is a way for me to count my blessings, focus on the positive, and maybe inspire myself to be a better person.

1 comment: