Thursday, December 31, 2009

Out with the Old, in with the New

I'm posting twice today because it's the last day of the year. I'm planning on making a book from the blog this year, so I figured I better sum it up.

Every year we put our family's new year goals and predictions in my journal. I told my grandma this when we bought our yearly journal together. She said, "Isn't that a bunch of fooey!" Ha ha- you have to know my grandma. She doesn't like the word "goals"- same with my mom. I think it's the whole formality of making goals and the pressure to make your life structured and not to deviate from it. But whether you call it a goal or not, we all have things we want to accomplish (my mom and grandma included!). I like to write them down- it helps motivate me a little more- even though I rarely make the goals completely (I'm a slacker:).

These are our goals/predictions from 2009 and the progress we made:

Predictions:
Tavish works only 1 job- nope, still working 2 jobs...hmm...maybe someday
Sara reads books- Yep- yay Sara!
Mac will learn to walk- yep, took 14 months
There will be 1 marrige in the family (hopefully 2)- There were 3! Tavish's brother, my brother, and my sister- Yay!
Tavish thinks there will be another big terrist attack in the US (isn't that positive thinking?) Holly says no there won't- Holly is right as usual.
We get a swing set- Yep!

Goals:
Mac:
Sleep through the night- Yes! Yay! Thanks Mac! (most of the time)
Sara:
Be nice to Andrew- Yep- most of the time
Clean room at least 2 times a week- Yep- most weeks
Not grab Mac so much- Uhh... no
Read books- Yep
Andrew:
Don't fight with Sara or kids at school- Pretty good
Read harder books- Yep
Write in journal once a week- Nope
Don't leave things laying around the house- I wish
Holly:
Read D&C (changed to New Testament then B of M in spanish)- Nope, did a little of each- doh!
Make Weight Watcher goal- ha ha, when do I ever make my weight goal? (I did lose 12 pounds though- better than nothing)
Go to temple once a month- Almost
Visit Teach every month- Not quite
Get basement organized- Yes!
Tavish:
Live off Vantage pay check and save 5%- Uhh... nope
Read scriptures every day- Hmm... I don't think so, but he did better than me.
Play sports with the kids- Once in a while
Get Duty to God stuff sorted out- Changed callings to ward clerk, so no longer aplicable

I love starting a new year. I feel like it's a time to start fresh, reflect on the past year, repent of things we didn't do so hot on, and try again- giving us hope for a better year!
Putting it simply by Joseph B. Worthlin: "May we set righteous goals and work to achieve them, do what is right, and reach out with love to those around us..."
Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Yea, I guess I am with your mom and grama. I don't set goals either. But I am like you and I definately have things I want to accomplish and I do list those.

    ReplyDelete