Thursday, March 25, 2010

Life's Simple Pleasures

This week I'm grateful for life's simple pleasures. I think kids are the best at enjoying life's simple pleasures. So these are some simple things in life that we have enjoyed this week.

For Saint Patricks Day we didn't do a whole lot, but I did make green pancakes, green eggs and green milk. The kids were so excited. Something so simple as a little green dye really can spice things up at our house!

Andy insisted on taking a picture to show his class (which we haven't done yet).The decorations are from my Mom who was here for St. Patricks day a couple of years ago- thanks Mom

Here are some more simple pleasures of the kids:

Andrew: Andrew made a kite in school yesterday- just a simple dimond shaped paper with a crepe paper tail and a string attached. It's amazing how a paper kite can entertain kids. We took the long walk to the church (across the street) and flew the paper kite.

Sara: This week I tried to be a super homemaker like my mom, and made bread (white and wheat). It wore me out! How does she do that so often? Anyway, Sara liked it. She likes putting in the flour, mixing sugar and cinnamon for cinnamon rolls... helping in any way. So why is putting in a teaspoon of salt into something so fun for little girls? I don't know, but I remember loving to help my mom cook when I was younger too. Another simple pleasure Sara likes is to read. When I don't let her play on the computer, she likes to grab some books and read, even though she's still a beginner.

Mac: Because of the nice weather, we've been going on more walks. Mac likes to watch the birds, dogs, cars, people... He likes to immitate the sounds of everything. When we hear the train he says, in a high pitch "Oooo, Oooo", "brrrrooommm" when the cars pass, and chirps and barks when we pass the birds and dogs. He's not much of a talker, but he makes a lot of sounds. I'm thinking he's going to be our musical child.

I think that sometimes, in this day and age, we think we need lots of things to make us happy... video games, new clothes, cars, computers... but it's living the simple life that makes us most happy. Not that I don't like the modern technologies and things we have, I do and am so grateful for them, but I'm happiest going on walks on a nice day, visiting with friends and family, and spending time with the kids. So... this week that's my goal- spend more time enjoying the simple, real, things in life rather than the other stuff.



PS- This made me think of the book Too Many Toys. It's about a kids with too many toys... and ends up playing with a box.

No comments:

Post a Comment