Monday, March 15, 2010

Every Member a Missionary

This is good for me to think about my blessings because sometimes I'm overwhelmed with the not-so-fun things in life... like kids throwing up in the middle of the night (that happened last night)... no sleep... all the wonderful things mothers go through. That being said, I've thought about what I'm thankful for this week and it's my new church calling. I LOVE it. Here is one of the reasons: I love missionary work.

A couple of days ago I went on visits with the Relief Society president. We went to visit a recently widowed lady. Before we left, the RS president decided that we could both share a favorite scripture with her. Now, during my mission this would have been a piece of cake because I always had scriptures in my mind and was able to find what I wanted right away... Now only a few favorite scriptures come to my brain, sad but true. So, I thought of one that I thought might help comfort this lady.

It was a nice visit and really brought memories of the mission back to me (she had a few crosses hanging up in her house... nothing like a religious discussion and crosses to bring back memories from Spain:) Anyway, the RS president (who is a return missionary too) started reading her favorite scripture to this lady, and guess what? She was reading several verses, and I thought, "Wait a second, this is the chapter I was going to share!" So, it turns out we both chose the same scripture, only she didn't read my favorite part in the chapter, so I was able to read it. (2 Ne ch. 4- my favorite verses 19 and 34) So, was this coincidence or inspiration? I'm not really sure, but I'd like to think inspiration. It was just such a nice feeling sharing the gospel with this sweet lady, and she appreciated the visit.

So, how have I seen the hand of God in my life this week? I think God has given me the opportunity to be a missionary- to share the gospel and help others. I've got to tell you, since the mission I pray for missionary experiences, because I know how important it is and the great feeling it gives to me. It's just hard to get out of that comfort zone and actually do it. I needed a calling to help me :) I love missionary work.

1 comment:

  1. That is a wonderful experience. We had alot of those "being on the same page" moments too.

    ReplyDelete