Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Value the Differences

A while ago I was going through some boxes. I found some slips of paper from my bridal shower. On each paper was a piece of marriage advise from someone there at the shower- such as "don't go to bed angry"... Then I came to one that said, "Value the differences". I thought, "I really like that one; who said that?" and on the back of the paper was my name- it was written in my handwriting. So- there you go, I gave myself some marriage advise before I was married. I knew then that Tavish and I were very different- which is why I love him. But I also knew that it could cause some conflict at times- which it does (every once in a while), which brings me to our conflict last night...

Last night Tavish and I had a little tiff- a little argument. It was actually really stupid, about the dinner I made... I'll spare you the details because you would only hear my point of veiw (I was right of course), and poor Tav couldn't defend himself. Anyway, we were arguing... at the dinner table and Andrew said, "Are you arguing? Don't argue. I want to eat my dinner in peace and quiet! You should argue when we are asleep." Don't ask me where he got all of that.

So, to make a long story a little shorter- Tav got over any bad feelings he may have had really quickly, but I didn't. That's always how it is with us. He just forgets about things, and I keep it inside me and let it fester... getting more and more angry. It was time for family night, and I just thought, "Ughh- I don't want to do family night with him." It was my turn to pick the song and Sara said, "We can do the I love Daddy song." Ha- very funny- I told her I didn't feel like singing that one. Anyway- Tavish gave the lesson, and I started to cool down. He gave a very sweet lesson, then we read some of his poetry he wrote on his mission. His lessons are always so different than mine, and I always wonder how he thinks of the things he does. So, throughout family night the advise I gave myself years ago came to my mind: Value the Differences. By the end of the night my bad feelings were gone- good thing too because It's hard to sleep next to someone that you're mad at!

So today I'm grateful for God's little gentle reminders in times of need (I needed it). I'm grateful for my sweet husband and our differences, and I'm grateful for sweet kids who remind me how I should be.

2 comments:

  1. HA! I love this. so true. such good advice you gave yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I like that. Kerry and I are just the opposite of you guys. He lets things fester and they come out years later, I tend to forget them. But its still hard to be upset with someone you love. I think I will try to remember to value the differences too. That is great advice, after all its the differences that are part of the attraction.

    ReplyDelete