Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Life of a Parent

I keep thinking, "I don't have anything interesting to write about... no pictures... any of that." But of course, as I ponder the days, I always can find something to be grateful for, so this is what I thought of this week:

This past week, the past few weeks actually, we've been having some struggles with one of our children... So, we've been having problems with honesty- trying to decieve the teacher ( I'll admit in very clever ways), losing the temper...etc. As a parent its been very frustrating. We've had lots of lectures... talk, talk, talk ( a lot of good that does) and quite a few punishments (I'm not sure if that has done any good either). Lately I feel like I'm constantly punishing and not uplifting him like I should- bad mom.

Anyway, the other night we had a nice little conversation- just this child and me (I'm sure no one can guess who this is). During our conversation I asked him what I was doing wrong as a mom and how I could help him. He said, "It's not you Mom, its me. The devil just tempts me to lie, and I just do it... I think I might need a blessing." We decided that was a great idea, something I hadn't thought of. The next day his dad gave him a blessing.

So far things have been better; I hope and pray that this has just been a phase that is going to pass. My mom always tells me when I'm complaining to her, "And this too shall pass..." But what if it doesn't?!!

Anyway, I'm grateful for a good boy who wants to do what right despite his temptations, and for his and his dad's faith. I think things will turn out with God's help.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story. I feel the exact same way. I feel like I am always punishing and never just enjoying the time. A blessing is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete