Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Be Proactive

I was at my parents' house a few weeks ago and started reading "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families" by Stephen Covey. So out of curiosity I started reading, since I liked the original 7 Habits book but don't remember it. I took it home to read. Anyway, the first habit is "Be Proactive". He basically says that we have the power to choose how we react to things... (something my dad always taught us growing up; I think he and my dad would be good friends). Since I've been reading I've been trying to be a little more proactive.

I think the natural man (Mosiah 3:19) is lazy. Well, at least my natural man is lazy. My natural man wants to just let things happen with out work on my part. So, since my top priorities are my family and living the gospel, I've been trying to be a little more proactive in those areas. Just so you know, which you already know, I'm not perfect. I'm not going to tell you all the ways in which I haven't been proactive (there are plenty), just the ways that I've actually tried over the past 2 weeks. Here they are:

1- Made a leveled library: I was tired of trying to find, in our many books, books that were just the right level for Andrew and Sara to read. So, crazy me decided to level my books. It took a while finding their levels on the computer (some I just had to guess), and there were books all over the floor for a few days. I made a big mess on top of our already big messes, but I finally got it done. I think I'm a little nuts because I look at their leveled books and think, "Wow, that is so cool!" Now, if we can just keep it that way. So far it's helped in our reading time.

2- Took the kids to a carnival: Santaquin had a carnival set up by the school. We drove by it when we took Andy to school; they were setting it up for a few days. Everyday the kids would plead to go to it. Of course I just thought "Ugh". I'm not really into carnival rides and crowds, but I want my kids to have fun memories and experiences, not just memories of staying inside the house. So, when the day of the carnival finally came, Tavish said that he could only go to the carnival if he worked all day Saturday. I didn't want that, so I just decided to be proactive and take the 3 kids on my own to the carnival. Hardly anyone was there, so the kids went on all the rides as many times as they wanted. They loved it.

3- Took my vitamins and tried to stay on Weight Watchers better: It's hard to be proactive when you're fat and tired.

4- Read my scriptures: I've read my scriptures a few days in a row now :) I know this is really sad, but I went a few weeks without reading much of the scriptures at all. On Sunday I would think, "Where's my B of M? Oh- it's where I left it last week." Bad, bad, me. I'm trying to do better.

5- Signed Sara up for Tumbling: Ok- this is one of those things that I've talked about doing forever. I finally did it. I think she needs something while Andrew goes to school, and she loves doing gymnastic-type things. So far she likes it. She asks me everyday how many days until Thursday (she goes Thursday mornings).

So there you go- that's how I've recognized the hand of God in my life: I think he's helped me feel guilty for being a lazy bum and strengthen me to be a little better.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the book idea! Wonder how long they will stay that way. :) Looks good. Carnival sounds fun too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your books. I also love the way you have taught your kids to refile them after they read. Sara showed me how to do it!

    ReplyDelete