Friday, July 31, 2009

Summer Vacations

My three favorite vacations as a kid were: camping at Bear Lake, Hatch, and camping in the Uintahs. This past month we went to Bear Lake and the Uintahs.

A few weeks ago, my brother and sister (and their spouse, and maybe spouse to be) were up at the Uintahs (Trial Lake). They asked me to come up with the kids for the day. I have so many good memories staying up there with my grandma and grandpa, it makes me sad that my kids haven't had some like them yet. So, anyway, I was nervous driving my three kids up there by myself (Tavish had to work), but I decided that if I want something done, I need to do it myself. So, I drove them up, and we did fine. Andrew and Sara went fishing for the first time. They loved it. It was so nice and peaceful up there. I'm glad that the kids were able to get a taste of nature and fishing. Of course, it made me think of the days when we would sit on the rocks fishing with my grandpa. I sure miss him. The kids had a great time.

Sara with her uncle Jay


We kept two fish.


Jay told Sara to hold the fish still, and she just grabbed it with no fear. Yuck- that's one thing I don't like- handling the fish. She didn't mind at all. Andrew did.

Getting ready to hike to Lily Pond Lake.


Worn Out



We also went camping at Bear Lake last week. I've always loved camping. But when I first took Andrew camping when he was a baby I thought, "This isn't fun." Camping with babies is hard work- no sleep, getting up with the birds, dirt, crying, feeding, changing, not being able to do what you want like stay up late, swim out deep... Being without our modern day comforts makes me appreciate the pioneers. So, I was dreading parts of this camping trip too- especially with Mac. At least I knew more what to expect this time. But again, like with the Uintahs, I wanted my kids to enjoy the things I enjoyed as a kid.

I tried to keep a positive attitude this time. It went much better. I'm not saying it was easy, it wasn't, by the end I was tired out and ready to go home. But I enjoyed being out in the sun, swimming with the kids, napping with Mac, and sitting around the camp fire. We didn't even get sunburned really.

So, how did I see the hand of God in my life through all of this?
1- I got to be out in God's beautiful world- I like being outside. (One of Kohlberg's seven intellegences is nature- I must have some of that.)
2- I am blessed with wonderful family and extended family who make life much more meaningful. I'm lucky my brothers, sisters, and parents help me so much too.
3- I tried to Enjoy the Journey like Pres. Monson suggested, and it makes it all so much more enjoyable.

*I'll have to post pics of Bear Lake later. Out of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment