Thursday, April 27, 2023

By Their Fruits Ye Shall Know Them

 


I've had a scripture come to my mind for several months.  It is Matthew 7:20.  "Wherefore, by their fruits ye shall know them." Christ is teaching the sermon on the mount.  He is teaching a way to discern truth from error.  The fruits of a tree tell us if the tree is good.  Not only have I seen and felt the fruits of the gospel in my own life,  but I have now seen them in the life of my son Andrew.

Andrew was very hesitant to serve a mission.  He was a homebody, had quite a bit of social anxiety, and was frankly just happy to stay home all day and program, write, or compose music.  He thought he was happy spending his time this way, but I would say he was comfortable.  So many times we equate comfort with happiness, but that really isn't accuarate.  I would say he wasn't happy.  

After Andrew got set apart as a missionary he surprised me.  I thought he would kind of wade into the missionfield gradually, first with his feet, then up to his knees... (speaking from experience, you can't really wade into the missionfield, you end up just getting dunked).  But Andrew surprised me.  He dove right in- head first.  He decided to be all in-  100% in the mission, 100% in the gospel. And the result has been amazing and obvious.

My very hesitant and anxious child is visiting people, calling people, texting people, driving in Anaheim (What?! He was so afraid of driving), studying, and serving every day.  We get to talk with him every week.  I have never seen him happier.  He is so happy, positive, calm, caring, and confident.  Now THAT is good fruit, a sign of a good tree, a sign of truth.  Andrew is truly living the gospel and it is changing him; Christ is changing him.  I think one of the greatest evidences of the truthfulness of the gospel is the effect it has upon those who live it.  And I don't mean people pretending to live it or those just putting their toes in.  I mean those who really live it wholeheartedly, who are submerged in it... like the missionaries who are on their feet serving the Lord.

So, my blessing of the day?  of the past 7 months?  I get to see my child truly come to know Christ as he helps others come to know Christ.  Gosh!!! A mom can't ask for more than that.  I am so blessed.   We all need to just dive in, then we will really experience the fruits of the gospel in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment