Friday, January 14, 2011

A Christmas Carol

Darn, I hate it when I wait so long between blogs.  I sit here and try to think of ways that I've been blessed during the time I haven't written, and there is just too much.  So- here is one of the many things I'm grateful this past month.

The first week in December I gave a lesson in Relief Society (that freaked me out as usual) about how to have the spirit of Christ over the holidays and throughout the year.  That made me think about keeping the true Christmas spirit in our home.  I thought about it, but didn't do too much about it (hypocrite).  I feel like Christmas just snuck up on me.  We were so busy finishing our basement, , going to parties, baking, making peanut brittle, eating peanut brittle ... that I just wasn't feeling much more than exhaustion (and fullness).   I finally felt that true spirit of Christmas when we went to a play with the in laws. (It also helped not having the kids with us, so I could feel the peace :)
We went to The Christmas Carol.  I've seen the play before, watched the movies, heard the story... many times.  But this time I really liked it. (The music was good too)  I realized what a good story it really is- that it truly  illustrates the spirit of Christmas and what it's about, even if it doesn't directly mention Christ.  It's a story of repentance.  Is that not what Christ is all about?  It made me think how lucky we are to have the chance to repent and become better.  So, that's what I've been grateful for this past month- repentance.

  I love starting a new year too; I feel like it's a new start- a time to repent and do better.  I know we really get a new start every week in sacrament meeting, but I like looking back on the year- what we did or didn't accomplish- and make new resolutions for the next year. We accomplished about 1/2 of our family and personal goals this year.  Slackers?  Yes.  But I figure making the goals helps us accomplish more than if we hadn't made the goals at all.  Time to repent and do a little better this year.

Happy new year and may God Bless Us Everyone!
(Getting cheesy, time for bed.  Goodnight)

No comments:

Post a Comment